Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Always an excuse or reason

Day after my birthday. Plan included getting back to healthy eating. OOPS. Cupboard and fridge are bare. And payday is Friday so slim pickin's create a bit of a challenge to eat well. Black tea and crackers for breakfast is better than the Chips Ahoy and tea I ate for breakfast as a teenager. Not optimal I know but we do with what we have.

While on my break at work eating a Greek pomegranate yogurt, a person, who asked not to be named (;-b), gifted me with a sinful dark chocolate and raspberry cake and suggested I start tomorrow. My eyes glazed over the chocolate glaze and in that hypnotic state I ate half the cake ( which was about the size of a extra-large cupcake and extra delicious) and I took the rest home with hopes that my daughter would eat it. Alas, I ended up eating the rest tonight but I did eat a healthy dinner. Balance is key. Hey it's my birthday...week.

Willpower is a muscle I need to develop. What weights do I have to lift to build up that muscle? I'll be honest I want to be able to enjoy all kinds of food. Most healthy programs advise not making any foods off limits because it makes you want it more. Moderation is a practice I need to practice. No seconds, no nightly dessert, no snacking.

Of course, exercise is another component. Thankfully, my cousins gave me their treadmill and exercise bike and I've used them more than a few times and not just for hanging up my sweaters. I'm working my way up to a half hour or a mile. Twenty minutes has been my average and since I am walking at a 1.8-2.0 pace I only get about 3/4 of a mile. I miss boot camp (see that blog at gut-instincts.blogspot.com). I claim no time but I have time to watch TV, read FB statuses and blog. Is 11:30 p.m.too late to jump on and walk 10 minutes? Heading to the treadmill-I'm a night person so maybe it will help me sleep better?


no more excuses!

How do you practice willpower and moderation? What excuses do you use?

1 comment:

  1. Dottie, you sound like me - I always have an excuse to eat what I want today and start TOMORROW!! Every morning I wake up and say "today is the first day of the rest of my life". And then I eat leftover pizza for breakfast - so I'll start tomorrow... You definitely motivated me yesterday, I went home and threw away all my bread and rolls (my weakness)so that was the one good thing I did, it's a start. I hope to do better today. Willpower and moderation aren't my thing but if you ever need an excuse, I'm your girl!!
    Good luck,
    Carleen

    ReplyDelete